Sunday, May 4, 2008

Fugitives on the Run: Part 2

I knew I couldn’t, it was off limits. This was the last time we were going to see each other. Terribly tragic, I know, but what can you do? Three years ago I wouldn’t believe this site. I hated Lola when I met her, snobby, stuck up and, like every other high school elite, spoiled to the core, I guess people can change. Me, I was unmotivated, used drugs and had a blatant disregard for authority; I guess some people never change.

Our weekend getaway didn’t turn out as expected, nothing we do ever does. That’s not a bitter tone, no matter how terrible our plans turn out we have a great time together, but it’s goodbye now.

Our train arrived and now we were waiting for hers. This is where our tracks split.

Me: Ten minutes left.

Lola: We’re not going to sit here and stare at the clock like a bunch of idiots though.

Me: Hahahaha, no.

Lola: I have to pee, hold on.

Classy lady. I saw the minutes go buy, no stopping them. She was happy, happier then when we said goodbye last night. 7 minutes left. Is there really a point in staying here? I should just pick up my bags and leave; it’d be easier on her. 6 minutes. Good God, this woman has the bladder of a race horse, if she’s not back in one minute I’ll go. 5 minutes. Well, I guess it’s time. I put her bags on the bench, picked up my bags. Fuck, I have so much shit with me. As I stood up I saw her coming through the crowd, damnit. She always does this, in the airport, train station, bus stop everywhere she always shows up seconds before I leave. Bitch.

Me: I guess it’s time to say goodbye.

Lola: Yeah.

She wrapped her arms around me and I hugged back.

Me: I’m going to miss you.

Lola: I’m going to miss you too.

I pulled my lips away from her ear and had them dangerously close to hers. She pulled back and began to pout like a kid. She stomped her foot and in with a voice whinier the Fran Dreschers said.

Lola: I can’t, I don’t want to. It’ll make things too hard, why do you always have to do this?

Me: I don’t care.

So I grabbed her by the hip and kissed her. It must’ve been a weird show for everyone around us, it looked like she was about to slap me before I kissed her. She pulled back again, eyes full of tears and then she hugged me as hard as her arms let her.

Lola: Bye.

And she ran towards her gate. Little bitch. I caught up to her just in time.

Me: I just need to know, just tell me because I feel like if I’m going crazy. I just need to know if things were different, if our plans worked out once, do you think we could’ve been happy?

Lola: …you’re not crazy.

With that she walked away. I stood there smiling as I saw her walk up the stairs to her track. She took a turn and saw me looking at her. Fuck, I hate that she caught me looking at her. I took my bags and left to the main terminal.

I sat down as I watched everyone around me. So many people, I wonder how many were saying goodbye. I wonder how many people were going home or leaving it. I didn’t know where to go. I had everything I owned in those two bags, no ticket, I could go anywhere but I had nowhere to go. And that’s when it hit me. I did it, I was free. I squeezed and fought myself out of the status-quo prison I was stuck in and now I’m here. Standing in a place in between places, a place that could take me anywhere, wherever I went from now on was my choice. I took my bags and pulled out a cigarette.

Anal Pirate/Security Guard: Excuse me, sir, you can’t smoke in here.

Me: But it’s not even lit, I’m walking outsi…

Anal Pirate/Security Guard: Well please wait until you’re outside then.

Fuck.

No comments: